| || |
"A close one, this. Recent winners of dbwwm’s Winery of the Year De Bortoli and Mc William’s, and others such as Taylors, would have all been deserving winners. But Yalumba is a winery in rare form. Our oldest family winery, they are kicking goals at every level. Long term chief winemaker Brian Walsh has been kicked upstairs (to Yalumba’s equivalent of the House of Lords) and his shoes are now filled by the supremely talented Louisa Rose, who heads an impressive team. The wines shine, whether as part of the premium cask range or any of the import offshoot called Negociants which brings many of the world's great wines to Australia and much more. Owner Rob Hill Smith also instigated the important Working with Wine programme which helps with the training of young professionals in the industry. This is a producer making vital and unmatched contribution to the Australian wine industry."
– Ken Gargett
One of the first wine guides to hit the shelves each year is Ken Gargett's 'don't buy wine without me'. This years release is the seventh edition of 'dbwwm', the wine guide previously written and edited by Stuart Gregor.
Ken Gargett calls himself a reformed lawyer and is currently the wine writer for the Brisbane Courier Mail and the Courier Mail Weekend Magazine (Australia). He is a regular contributor to numerous other publications including Australian Gourmet Traveller Wine Magazine.
There is a great representation of wines across the entire Yalumba portfolio. This is a remarkable achievement which reinforces our capacity as a wine producer, and demonstrates how we continue to "do the little things brilliantly".
Please follow the links to read more about Yalumba wines:
- Yalumba Eden Valley Viognier 2006 91 points, page 107
- Yalumba FDW7c Chardonnay 2005 92 points, page 108
- Yalumba The Virgilius Viognier 2005 94 points, page 108
- Yalumba Eden Valley Wild Ferment Chardonnay 2006 93 points, page 109
- Yalumba Barossa BVG 2006 89 points, page 186
- Yalumba Galway Traditional Shiraz 88 points, page 187
- Yalumba Hand Picked Barossa Shiraz Viognier 2005 93 points, page 187
- Yalumba The Octavius Barossa Old Vine Shiraz 2003 94 points, page 188
- Yalumba Y Series Shiraz 2006 90 points, page 188
- Yalumba Reserve Chardonnay 2006 2litre cask 86 points, page 13
- Yalumba Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2006 2 litre cask 85 points, page 14
- Yalumba Reserve Shiraz 2006 2 litre cask 88 points, page 14
‘don’t buy wine without me 2008’
Gargett, Ken © 2007 (The Text Publishing Company)