It’s no surprise to lovers of Grenache, that this bright, juicy and moreish variety simply craves food. So in preparation for International Grenache Day on Friday 20 September 2019, we have partnered with local food duo Abby and Julian from El Estanco to bring you the perfect dish to complement our Carriage Block Grenache.
DUO OF DUCK WITH CARROT AND SOUR ORANGE PUREE, CHARRED CARROTS AND BLACKBERRY JUS
Ingredients for the Confit Duck Leg
- 2 duck legs
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 4 springs of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 600ml duck fat
- Make a paste with the garlic, salt and thyme, and rub the paste on the duck legs. Allow to marinate for 24 hours.
- Rinse the legs of any excess salt and pat dry with paper towel.
- Melt the duck fat until it turns into liquid. Place the legs in a deep baking or roasting tray and cover with the duck fat.
- Place in an oven at 70°C for approximately 4-4 ½ hours until the legs are very tender but hold together.
- Let the legs cool slightly. Pull them out while the fat is still soft but cool to touch. Strain the fat and refrigerate for future use. Make sure to remove the jelly-like liquid after it has set on the top.
Ingredients for the Carrot Puree
- 2 large carrots
- 50g cocoa butter
- 300ml sour orange juice (we use tangelos)
- Salt to taste
- Peel and dice the carrots about 1cm.
- Place the carrots in a saucepan with the orange juice and cook until soft but not falling apart.
- Strain the carrots and reserve the orange juice for the duck breast.
- Place the carrots in a blender or food processor and blitz. While the carrots are still hot, add the cocoa butter one piece at the time until smooth. Season to taste.
Ingredients for the Duck Breast
- 1 duck breast
- 250ml sour orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Salt and pat dry the breast very well. With a sharp knife, score the skin without cutting all the way through.
- Heat up a frying pan and on low heat place the duck breast skin side down and render most of the fat until it is golden in colour. Turn the heat up and seal the flesh side.
- Place the duck breast skin-side up in a deep roasting or baking dish and pour in the reserved boiling orange juice, making sure not to cover the skin. Place in the refrigerator to cool down.
Ingredients for the Blackberry Jus
- 250ml chicken or duck stock
- 150ml red wine
- 1 punnet of blackberries
- Bring the wine to the boil to burn the alcohol off.
- Add the stock and the berries, reserving a few for garnishing. Simmer until reduced by ¼ and strain.
Ingredients for the Carrots
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Blanch the carrots for about a minute and place them on ice water straight away.
- Char the carrots on a hot coal or a BBQ.
To assemble the final dish
- In a frying pan, place the confit legs and the breast skin side down until it feels crispy.
- Turnover and place in the oven at 200°C. Cook them for 15 minutes, making sure to take the breast out after 10 minutes and let it rest in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Cut the breast in half lengthwise and then in half again on an angle.
- Place a smear of the carrot puree on the plate and add the carrots, one of the legs and half a breast.
- Garnish with some fresh blackberries, some charred rainbow chard and pour over some of the jus.
To see more from Abby and Julian visit El Estanco at 23 Murray Street, Greenock.
www.elestanco.com.au | @el_estanco